A little weather for ya

It's getting cold.












There is snow in the mountains, and the low lands are dropping into the 30's during the day. I'm so excited that I feel like crocheting a scarf!

One weather phenomenon that you can always count on in Western Washington is Mt. Rainer predicting precipitation. Contrary to popular belief, Seattle is not the rainiest area in the country and although you Twilight fans know that Forks does win the award for the most overcast days, that doesn't mean we don't have quite a few clear skies in the Emerald City.

From KOMO TV:


When I was growing up and we had a particularly long stretch of clear days I would always look towards Mt. Rainer for the inevitable cloud hovering over it's peak that always meant rain was coming. When I saw it my heart would sink because I knew the sun was being replaced by the endless amount of gray that always accompanied the rain.

The clouds are called "lenticular clouds."  They're caused when the air flow is just right so when it flows over Mt. Rainier, the air gets pushed upward where it cools and condenses into clouds.  Depending on how smooth the flow is, you can get some amazing clouds formations as pictured above.

Kinda neat...now let's hope for some snow!! I'm ready to start snowshoeing, sledding, making snow angles, throwing snow balls, yay winter!

Comments

Bryan said…
Nice find on the second lenticular cloud shot. I did not get a chance to see those clouds and I really wish that I had.