Rattlesnake Lake

The snow has stranded me on the east side, but we've made the most of it and spent quite a bit of time wandering around the city with the help of a 4x4.

Guilt forced me into work on Friday, but I left early and Panda and I headed for the mountains. Like there wasn't enough snow down here to make us feel like we were living in Snoqualmie, we needed more. The destination in mind was Rattlesnake Lake.

rattlesnake mountain

The roads were pretty covered, but the sight of the frozen lake made the trek up completely worth it. I ventured off to get some shots of the mountain and Panda headed out to take shots of the lake. The suggestion to take the lake trail was thrown out and I thought it would be a fun little hike so I agreed.

three trees

As I look at these pictures I noticed how just crazy blue everything was. I tried to adjust the temperature but, next to turning it all black and white, this was a close as I could get.

I've been lucky to been on many hikes that included seeing Bald Eagles and this was no exception. There was a particularly large eagle flying majestically over the lake and as the sun was setting it created a lovely back drop. We sat for about 30 minutes in 20 degree temperatures trying to capture it, but in the end walked away pictureless. However, upon developing the pictures at home it was discovered that there were deer across the lake as well as the soaring bird. I'm always amazed at the things I see only 30 minutes away from home. Sometimes I really love Washington.

Comments